CASTLE ROCK, Colo. — Investigators say one person died in an apartment fire in Castle Rock Thursday. They say an unattended cigarette started the fire.
Maintenance workers say they walked by the apartment at the Reserves at Castle Rock, 1020 Highland Ridge Way, and saw water coming from underneath the door.
When they opened the door to turn off the water, they saw smoke damage and called 911.
Police and fire personnel arrived and found one victim inside the apartment.
“Investigators determined that the fire was accidental, and started when a lit cigarette fell from the countertop into a full trash can, and spread to the cabinets in the kitchen. Remains of the cigarette were still on the counter,” according to a statement.
Officials aren’t sure when the fire started. There was no fire when emergency responders arrived. Additionally, they found the smoke detectors in the unit had been disabled.
View original post 7 more words