Investigators: Cigarette causes fatal fire at Castle Rock apartment

FOX31 Denver

CASTLE ROCK, Colo. — Investigators say one person died in an apartment fire in Castle Rock Thursday. They say an unattended cigarette started the fire.

Maintenance workers say they walked by the apartment at the Reserves at Castle Rock, 1020 Highland Ridge Way, and saw water coming from underneath the door.

When they opened the door to turn off the water, they saw smoke damage and called 911.

Police and fire personnel arrived and found one victim inside the apartment.

“Investigators determined that the fire was accidental, and started when a lit cigarette fell from the countertop into a full trash can, and spread to the cabinets in the kitchen. Remains of the cigarette were still on the counter,” according to a statement.

Officials aren’t sure when the fire started. There was no fire when emergency responders arrived. Additionally, they found the smoke detectors in the unit had been disabled.

View original post 7 more words

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s